Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
A great source of omega 3 for veggies. Its great hot or cold and can be made in advance before cooking.
Top Review by Wendy-Bob
I'll be honest, I made a good few changes in this recipe. I woke up this morning and realised I had nothing to take to work for lunch so I needed something quick to make that I could leave in the oven. Unfortunately the lack of pre-planning meant I had to use what ingredients I had to hand. Changes: I used nothing but raw cashews (my fave, so probably would have opted for that anyway), 1/2 a red and 1/2 a yellow onion, I was out of mushrooms so used a grated courgette/zucchini instead, I used 2 eggs as I only had medium sized ones and one wasn't enough to bind the mixture, I used dijon mustard mayo instead of dijon mustard (again because it was all I had) and I only had about 75g of halloumi cheese left so had to make do with that. So not major changes but lots of little amendments. Even so, this was a good recipe recipe. Quick and easy to make and nice to just fling in the oven and leave. The addition of courgette/zucchini was nice, so in future I might use half mushrooms and half zucchini. Only having half the cheese made it more low fat but I think the full amount was really needed as the halloumi was a bit lost in the recipe and it was left tasting a little bland. My only real bug was that I think the herbs were a bit on the heavy side. The parsley worked nicely but the dried herbs tasted really strong to me, and I only used 1tbsp in the first place as I'm not a big fan. In future I will use probably just 1tsp and perhaps add something else instead. All in all a really nice recipe - great to take to work for lunch, healthy, tasty and a definite keeper. Thanks PinkCherryBlossom!
- 150 g raw mixed nuts, shelled
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 75 g mushrooms, quartered
- 50 g oats
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 150 g sliced halloumi cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Process the nuts, mushrooms and onion until coarsley chopped.
- Add to the oat flakes, sesame seeds, herbs and stir well.
- Add egg, mustard and lemon juice abd mix together.
- Press the half mix into an oiled loaf tin and add a layer of haloumi.
- Finish with the remaining mixture and press down.
- Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and tomato sauce.