Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is a more simplified version of the swiss nut cakes (Engadiner Nusstorte). Because of the whipped cream frosting, this cake will not keep for very long.
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs, gradually adding the sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Mix in the nuts and flour only until blended, then fold in the cooled, melted butter.
- Turn into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan and bake in a 325 degrees F oven for 40 to 60 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool cake for about 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
- While cake is cooling, stir all of the filling ingredients together over medium heat until smooth, and let the mixture come to a boil. Cool.
- When the cake is cold, split it in half and fill with filling mixture. Replace top layer.
- Whip cream until very thick, and add sugar and flavoring. Spread on cake or use a pastry bag with a fluted tube and your imagination.