Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a second version of Hedeg Kilet.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 (1/4 ounce) packages cake yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb ground poppy seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 lb ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water in large bowl; reserve.
- Cut butter into flour, salt, sugar until coarse.
- Make a "well"; add unbeaten yolks.
- Add yeast mixture; stir well for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 portions; set aside to rise while fillings are being prepared.
- POPPYSEED FILLING:.
- Heat milk. Add poppy seeds, stirring until milk is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Add sugar.
- NUT FILLING:.
- Heat milk. Add nuts, sugar, stirring until milk is absorbed.
- Oven at 425ºF.
- When dough is ready and filling is made, roll 1 section of dough into rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread filling on dough.
- Roll as for jelly roll.
- Make 4 rolls; 2 of poppy seed, 2 of nut mixture.
- Place rolls on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush with egg. Wait 20 minutes.
- Bake 30 minutes.