This salty-sour concoction appears on every table in Vietnam, and is used as freely as salt and pepper. As an all-purpose condiment, it gets splashed, drizzled or sloshed over all types of dishes. You can make it ahead, and it keeps well in the fridge for several days.
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, pale section only, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrots, grated
- 1 -2 thai red chile, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water and grated palm sugar (be sure to pack the grated sugar into the tablespoon so you have enough sweetening). Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.