Recipe by Annacia
Fabulous Italian hot chocolate! A life of piety and chastity has to call for something sensual occasionally. Yes, you can enjoy the seductive chocolate flavor and thick creaminess of this Italian hot chocolate without fearing the loss of other worldly pleasures, but this confection is sure to elicit a moan from all who partake. Drinking any of the great Italian-style hot chocolates is almost a religious experience. Over and over again, people who taste this drink for the first time say, "Oh, my God." Is that enough encouragement to give this one a try? Don't overlook the importance of the orange zest or the arrowroot. The oil from the zest gives the chocolate a fresh kick, and the arrowroot thickens the mixture. Servings: Serves 2 in cappuccino cups or 4 in espresso cups.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This is a wonderful hot chocolate, Annacia. I enjoyed it very much, rich, thick, smooth, creamy and very decadent. I especially loved the addition of the orange zest with the bittersweet chocolate. So good and really quick and easy to make. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for some pure comfort.
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half, plus
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (at least 70 percent cacao)
- 2 -4 slices orange zest (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the half-and-half with the arrowroot, whisking until smooth.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and when the half-and-half begins to bubble around the edges, whisk in the sugar.
- Whisk in the arrowroot mixture until the half-and-half thickens slightly, usually less than a minute.
- Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour into cups, top each with a piece of orange zest, and serve immediately.