Bananas and chocolate come together happily in this cake which is a favorite of mine. I make this often for church functions. NOTE: I've made this with both quick cooking and old fashioned oats and have had better response to the quick cooking kind. The old fashioned oats stay a little cruncy after the cake is baked which puts some people off.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, margarine and eggs, then stir in buttermilk, bananas and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine flour, oats, soda and salt, and then mix into the banana mixture.
- Gently stir in chocolate morsels and spread in prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Keeps quite awhile in the refrigerator.