Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 20 mins
Winner of the 1985 NY State Chili Cook-Off
Make and share this Numero Uno Chili Con Carne With Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 lbs beef, ground, coarsely ground
- 2 lbs pork, ground, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder, mild
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups canned broth
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- In a large skillet, over med.
- heat, warm the oil.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a 4 to 5 quart heavy flameproof casserole or Dutch oven over med. heat, combine beef and pork.
- Season with salt and cook, stirring often, until meat has lost all its pink color and is evenly crumbled, about 20 minutes.
- Scrape onions into casserole with meats.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice and beef stock.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Taste, correct seasonings and simmer another 30 minutes or until chili is thickened to your liking.
- Stir in garlic. To thicken chili further or to bind any surface fats, stir in the optional cornmeal.
- Stir in the beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
This recipe was bland and unappetizing. I don't want to sound rude but after all the trouble I went through to make this recipe only to be rudely disappointed by the horrible addition of the chocolate (which you can definitely taste), knowing I had been hesitant to add it to the recipe in the first place was very disconcerting. The instructions were not very good. I wasn't sure whether to drain the meat or not. There was definitely not enough chili powder and the tomato juice was not a good enough substitution for stewed or diced tomatoes. I am sure this recipe was good when it won the contest, however, I believe my recipe to be much better and I should have stuck to my gunz! Take care!
I used this recipe using all ground turkey, and used two cans of rotel, with one cup of tomato juice. It was some of the best chili I have had, and lower in fat. Thank you so much for the recipe. Dennis Baker
Everyone loved it. I have made it up twice in one week. I put it up in the freezer in individual servings.