2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Winner of the 1985 NY State Chili Cook-Off
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 lbs beef, ground, coarsely ground
- 2 lbs pork, ground, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chili powder, mild
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups canned broth
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1In a large skillet, over med.
- 2heat, warm the oil.
- 3Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile in a 4 to 5 quart heavy flameproof casserole or Dutch oven over med. heat, combine beef and pork.
- 5Season with salt and cook, stirring often, until meat has lost all its pink color and is evenly crumbled, about 20 minutes.
- 6Scrape onions into casserole with meats.
- 7Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- 8Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in tomato juice and beef stock.
- 10Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- 11Taste, correct seasonings and simmer another 30 minutes or until chili is thickened to your liking.
- 12Stir in garlic. To thicken chili further or to bind any surface fats, stir in the optional cornmeal.
- 13Stir in the beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Tex-Mex Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tex-Mex Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Numero Uno Chili Con Carne With Beans
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.7
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 217.9 mg
- Sodium 1911.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 90.4 g