Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My recipe for potato salad, which my son says is "numa-numa". Feel free to taste and adjust this recipe to taste. The proportions are approximate, not exact.
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cooked whole in boiling salted water until tender
- 6 slice bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (smoked bacon is really good!)
- 2 stalk celery, trimmed and diced fine
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced fine
- 3 large hardboiled egg, diced (see note below)
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise (Don't use Miracle Whip! Use real Mayo!)
- 29.58 ml apple cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 22.18 ml sweet pickle relish
- 9.85 ml sweet pickle relish juice
- 2.46 ml salt (more or less)
- fresh black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized chunks (not too big!) Toss the potatoes, celery, onion and eggs together gently.
- Mix the dressing ingredients, taste, adjust if needed.
- Pour over the potatoes, add the bacon and toss gently.
- Taste- adjust seasonings.
- It should taste a bit strong- not too strong, but a bit strong in all the flavors.
- It should also not be dry.
- If it is, add more mayo.
- Don't worry if it is a little on the wet side- the potatoes will soak up the flavors and mayo and melt them altogether during refrigeration so it will mellow out in taste and"dry-out" a bit, too.
- Chill until needed.
- NOTE: For perfectly cooked hard-cooked eggs: Put your eggs in a saucepan covered by enough water to cover them by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil.
- As soon as it boils, slap a lid on it, turn off the heat, let sit 10 minutes.
- Drain the water, cover in cold water, let sit another 10 minutes.
- Drain, crack and peel.
- They will be perfect.