When you want a small amount of brownies FAST, these are a great treat. You may need to play with the microwaving times a little as all microwaves vary in wattage - mine is (I think) 1000 watts, so times given are based on that. Cook time includes 8 minutes actual cooking, and at least 15 minutes cooling time. These are what I would call half -n- half brownies- half fudgey (from the melted choco chips) and half cakey.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (two 1 ounce baking squares)
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate or 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, as garnish
- Place butter and chocolate squares in a glass microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook on HIGH 1-2 minutes, or until melted- watch carfeully and remove as soon as it is almost completely melted or it will start to pop.
- Stir well and set aside to cool a couple of minutes.
- In a bowl, beat eggs until light& foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and slightly cooled chocolate mixture, beating as you do (don't add it all at once or you will cook the eggs).
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder and stir into the mixture along with vanilla, mixing until combined.
- FOld in chocolate chips and pour into a greased 8" square glass microwave-safe baking dish.
- Cook uncovered on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Rotate pan 1/4 turn (even if you have a revolving microwave base) and cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and let sit on wire rack in pan at least 15 minutes or until cool.
- Before serving, slice into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
i just tried these becuase i was intrigued by the concept of mircowave baking. It took about 4 minutes total to fully cook these in my microwave. I used a cereal bowl! these are very cake like in texture, but easy to make and quick! i will make again. next time i'll try some white chocolate chips or a frosting. :)
The recipe says this makes 9 servings. 9 servings my heinie! My friend and I polished the whole thing off last night over a cup of coffee! I totally blew my diet with these brownies, but they were so delicious, I just couldn't stop at one square. They are so easy to make, and ready so quickly in the microwave. The scent of chocolate permeated the whole house, and we could barely wait until it was cool to dig in. Heather, these are very dangerous brownies, thanks so much for posting them and ruining my diet! I'm going to try them again very soon, this time with some of the Skor bits that canarygirl sent me.
I had no unsweet chocolate squares, so I took ~cbw~'s recommendation to substitute with 3 tbsp cocoa and 1 tbsp oil PER SQUARE. The brownies were very easy to whip up, but came out a tad dry. To remedy this I poured a thin layer of milk into the bottom of each bowl before putting in the brownie then added a little Nesquick sauce on top. The milk soaked right through and the whole family loved it! They said these couldn't even compare to box mixes. Even though the texture was dry, the flavor was unbeatable. Definitely making this again.