Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Alice springs chicken has always been one of my all time favorite chicken dishes. I looked everywhere for the recipe that looked the closest and this is the winner + or - a few to my taste. We love onions so I always sauté some up with the mushrooms but whatever works best for you!
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- With an electric mixer combine the mustard, honey, and 1 Tbsp oil, and lemon juice for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/2 mixture over chicken in a gallon ziplock to marinate in fridge 2-24 hours.
- Chill remaining marinade to serve with chicken.
- After marinating chicken, preheat oven to 375°F Put remaining oil in frying pan. Heat and sear chicken on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to oven safe pan and brush with marinade.
- Meanwhile in frying pan add butter and saute mushrooms.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and peppers.
- Stack bacon across each breast, spoon mushrooms on each breast and then approx 1/3- 1/2 cup cheese on each.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with honey mustard marinade.
For the sauce...I mix (to taste)... Ketchup, Mayo, small amount of Dijon mustard, splash of Worcestershire Sauce, sprinkle of garlic and onion powder, crack of pepper, a nip of GOOD Prepared Horseradish (NOT the creamy stuff for sandwiches, but the stuff that looks grated) and a dab of honey. This seemed to get the tang, sweet and kick I was tasting at Outback. I make this up about an hour (or longer) before I use it so the flavors come together.
This was just like Outbacks recipe. The only thing I missed was the service. <br/>I used local honey and 4 breast that I used my Pampered Chef meat tenderizer. I cut the chicken into serving size pieces. This easily fed 6 to 8 people. I served rice pilaf and steamed mixed vegetables
Wow! This was fantastic. I sauteed one onion with the mushrooms, and baked nine slices of thick sliced bacon. I also cut the bacon as I put it over the chicken. Make sure you pound the chicken first so it cooks evenly. Definitely a keeper.