Recipe by Sue Lau
The sauerkraut may come as a surprise, but being of part German heritage with ancestry going back into Kentucky, everyone who can identify with that will taste these and say "That's what I'm talkin' about!" I have adapted the recipe for low carb/diabetic (part of my ancestry as well), but feel free to use regular versions of ketchup, molasses/honey, or brown sugar. I bought my sugar-free molasses syrup online (naturesflavors.com) I don't know where I'd be without it!
Top Review by Chrisbee
I made these for our July 4th BBQ and everyone loved them. I used regular molasses, ketchup and brown sugar, and left out the whiskey. I cooked them for several hours in the crock pot and they were fantastic. I think they're going to be a regular for our BBQs!
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans or 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pork & beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 slices bacon, cooked limp and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons nature's flavors sugar-free molasses or 2 tablespoons honey tree's sugar-free honey
- 1⁄4 cup low-carb ketchup (Heinz 1-Carb)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke