1/2 Photos of "Now and Later" Vegetarian Empanadas
1 hr 30 mins
Angela Curtis's Note:
This is from "More Make Your Own Groceries". There are instructions for both eating right away and freezing to eat later. This is one of several dishes I made in preparation for the birth of my daughter and would probably be good for someone who doesn't usually have enough time (or energy) to make a healthy meal for themselves every day, but has a period of time to make this. I've probably estimated prep time on the high side because I'm a slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium carrots, scrub well
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/2 lb coarsely sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch
- 3 stalks celery, sliced 1/2 inch
- 1 green pepper, cut in 1/2 inch squares
- 2 -3 smashed and minced garlic cloves
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato (do not drain)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour or 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- 4 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/8 cups ice cold water
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1In a pot, cover carrots with water to cover.
- 2Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- 3Simmer 10 minutes or until just tender.
- 4While simmering carrots, pour contents of can of tomatoes into a bowl and squish into little pieces with your hands.
- 5Wash hands.
- 6Blend chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne into tomatoes.
- 7Take the 2 Tbs of flour and blend with 1/4 cup cold water in a small cup.
- 8Pour this into tomato mixture and stir to blend.
- 9Drain carrots, and cut into 3/4 in pieces.
- 10Put both aside for now.
- 11Melt butter on medium heat in a large fring pan.
- 12Add onion, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, green pepper, and garlic and saute.
- 13Stir continuously until onion is limp.
- 14Stir tomato mixture into frying pan and bring to a simmer.
- 15Cover and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, then uncover and (stirring constantly) cook for about 5 minutes over med-high heat until liquid has evaporated.
- 16Stir in carrots and cheese.
- 17Salt to taste.
- 18When cheese has melted put pan in refrigerator to quickly cool vegetables.
- 19Stir now and then to help cool faster.
- 20Now, begin empanada crust.
- 21Resift flour with baking powder in a bowl.
- 22Quickly cut butter and shortening into bowl until it looks like a coarse meal.
- 23Make a well in the center.
- 24Add soy sauce and cold water together.
- 25Stir vigorously with a fork until dough follows the fork around bowl (about 30-40 seconds).
- 26Personal observation: The dough seems rather"frothy" at this point.
- 27Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for about 10 folds (or 30 seconds) to remove stickyness.
- 28Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.
- 29Make into a ball and roll into an 8 inch circle.
- 30Spoon about 3/4 cup vegetable filling onto center of circle.
- 31Moisten edges of circle with water and bring together at top, pinching and fluting edges.
- 32Note: The original instuctions say to make a sealed semi-circle.
- 33Mine looked like balls of dough and turned out fine.
- 34Lift empanada onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- 35Repeat until done.
- 36If you fill more than one cookie sheet put the full one in the refrigerator.
- 37When done, prick the top of each empanada with a fork and brush with egg and water mixture.
- 38If you are going to cook some of them right away, pre-heat oven to 400 and cook 25 to 30 minutes (until golden brown) on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 39Take the ones for later and freeze uncovered on cookie sheet overnight.
- 40When frozen solid wrap in foil or put in freezer bags.
- 41Label with instructions: Bake uncovered in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- 42Let cool some before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Now and Later" Vegetarian Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (2806 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.1
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.3 mg
- Sodium 519.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: