Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen The dough is enough to make a dozen moist, nutty-flavored rolls or two delicious loaves of bread. Prep and Cooking time does not include rise time.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water, boiling
- 1 cup rolled oats, quick-cooking
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup rolled quick-cooking oats
- In small bowl, dissolve 1 tsp of the sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir together remaining sugar, boiling water, rolled oats, butter and salt
- Till sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in yeast mixture and eggs.
- With electric mixer, beat in 2 cups (500 ml) of the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
- With wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface;
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes, adding enough of the remaining flour as necessary.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- Cover with plastic wrap;
- Let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 12 portions.
- Shape each into ball, stretching and pinching dough underneath to make tops smooth.
- Place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Topping: Brush with beaten egg; sprinkle with rolled oats.
- Bake in centre of 375°F ( 190°C) oven until roll sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 30 minutes. Remove from pans;
- Let cool on racks.