This is a quick and easy brunch item to serve in a jiffy. While most of this dish cooks quickly on the stove, for the last few minutes the skillet goes into the oven to brown. Serve with mini or regular bagels, crispy potatoes &/or mezclun salad. Since lox and eggs have a tendency to leave your guests a little parched, serve with a nice fuity or dry champagne. This recipe was originally found on Television Food Network, 2002 courtesy of the Food Network Kitchens but it has been tweaked here and there, several times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces nova scotia lox, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- fresh parsley leaves, garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 375F and position a rack in the center of oven.
- 2Heat cast iron skillet(large)or large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- 3Heat the butter & oil combination.
- 4Turn down the heat to low to low heat.
- 5Add onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- 6In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs & add all ingredients except for Nova Scotia Lox & cream cheese.
- 7Using two spoons or your fingers, separate the cream cheese into small clumps.
- 8Fold the cream cheese & Nova into the egg mixture.
- 9Turn the heat on stove to medium-low heat.
- 10Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and stir lightly to make sure the fillings are evenly arranged in the pan.
- 11Cook until the bottom is set, but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- 12Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until top is set, about 8 minutes, until it puffs up and browns nicely.
- 13Remove from oven, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 14Invert the frittata onto a nice platter - garnish with parsley.
- 15Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nova Scotia Lox (Smoked Salmon) & Cream Cheese Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.0
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 294.5 mg
- Sodium 439.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 12.0 g