Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
The original Hodge Podge was a summer dish of new vegetables. This recipe coming from Nova Scotia, Canada is the same thing with salt-pork sauce.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans (or waxed)
- 8 carrots
- 1 lb fresh green peas
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower (optional)
- 1 cup finely diced salt pork
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 tablespoons green onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Split the beans in half lengthwise.
- Cut carrots into long sticks.
- Shell peas and place all together into unsalted, boiling water.
- Boil fast uncovered for 8 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.
- Peel potatoes and slice into matchsticks.
- Cook covered til just tender. Drain, reserving water. Set aside.
- Break cauliflower into flowerlets. Place in a saucepan, and using potato water, boil uncovered 8-10 minutes Drain and set aside.
- Mix vegetables in a warm dish. Cover and let stand in a warm place.
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare sauce:.
- Melt diced salt pork in a cast iron frying pan over medium heat.
- When golden brown, discard enough fat so only half a cup remains.
- Add flour and stir over medium heat until it turns a light brown colour.
- Pour in cream, vegetable water and stir until creamy.
- Add chives or green onions, pepper, and salt to taste (as salt pork is often sufficient).
- Pour over the vegetables, and serve.