3 hrs 20 mins
From the cookbook Nourishing Traditions. Based on a traditional method of preparing meat in German-speaking areas in Europe. Posted per hubby's request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs rump roast (chuck roast or other cut suitable for pot roast is okay)
- 1 quart buttermilk (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red wine (we used red zinf')
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs French tarragon, tied together (subbed for fresh thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed or 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed, placed in tea infuser
- 1 dozen small red potato, unpeeled, left whole (specifically those small red creamer potatoes)
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into chunks (we replaced a few carrots with parsnips)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1POT ROAST: Use a metal skewer to poke the meat all over.
- 2Place the meat in a bowl or glass loaf pan that is just large enough to fit it. Pour the buttermilk over the meat.
- 3Allow to marinate in the refrigerator, for 2-3 days, stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove the meat from the buttermilk (discard buttermilk!) and dry off with clean lint-free towel.
- 5On medium heat, sear the meat on all sides in a Dutch oven in the butter and olive oil.
- 6Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 7Remove meat to platter; pour out the browning fat and discard. Note: I don't discard the browning fat. It is too good to waste and really adds a delicious flavor to the gravy.
- 8Next, add the red wine, stock, French tarragon and peppercorns to the pot. Bring to boil and skim off the top.
- 9Return the meat to the pot and bake, covered, for 3 hours or until tender. One hour before serving, add the potatoes and carrots.
- 10GRAVY: Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter and bring the sauce to a boil on the stove top.
- 11Spoonful by spoonful, add the arrowroot and water and whisk in the pot to make a gravy of desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the pot roast.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nourishing Traditions' Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.3
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 186.8 mg
- Sodium 697.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 60.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: