Recipe by Vye367
I found this on http://www.cooksrecipes.com/. I think it would be fun to make for Christmas presents so I'm "keeping it safe" here.
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted almond, I'm not a big fan of nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 8 x 8 x 2-inch square baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Mix first 4 ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Then cook without stirring, to 250 degrees F, or until a small amount of the mixture dropped in cold water forms a hard ball.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually pour in 1/4 of the syrup mixture while continuing to beat with electric mixer, until mixture holds its shape. Set aside.
- Cook remaining syrup to 300 degrees F, or until a small amount of mixture separates into hard and brittle threads when dropped in cold water.
- Gradually pour remaining syrup mixture into first mixture while continuing to beat with electric mixer.
- Add extract (and food coloring if desired).
- Beat in butter and continue beating until very thick and satiny.
- Stir in almonds.
- Press into prepared pan, smoothing top, then let stand at room temperature until firm.
- Turn out of pan, peel off waxed paper and cut in 1 1/2 x 1-inch pieces.
- Wrap each piece individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap. For best flavor, store several days in a cool place before serving.