When you don't have much on hand in your Iraqi cupboard this is a delicious basic meal that DH, DD (toddler) and I enjoy! Many women enjoy date syrup a lot while pregnant and this is good for a nonirritating the stomach, meal. Amounts are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white basmati rice, washed and soaked as much as needed depending on quality
- 2 cups water
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided (butter is essential, oil or margarine is not to be subbed here)
- 3 whole cardamom pods, crushed slightly to open a bit
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder (It's really for colour)
- scant 1/2 cup date molasses (dibis tamar in Middle Eastern shops)
- balkan yogurt, to serve
- 1Melt 1 tbs butter in pot to cook rice, add spices and stir until fragrant, add drained rice and stir carefully to coat making sure not to break grains (depending on rices quality).
- 2Add water to rice in desired amount, add sea salt to taste, bring to a boil and cook until done.
- 3Turn off burner and leave top on 5 minutes or more.
- 4Melt remaining butter in a small pan, add dibis and warm and mix together.
- 5Serve rice with the butter mixed with dibis in a bowl and Balkan yogurt stirred until smooth in another.
- 6Eat with a bit of both added over the rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nothing Much in the Cupboard Iraqi Rice Meal (Gluten Free, Veget
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.0
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 16.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods