1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This looks so tasty that I had to post it here for future use. The following description and instructions were generously shared by the chef MissJ9 at opensourcefood.com. This is freely reproducible as long as you include the license info: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ It's funny what can happen to a recipe over time. This dish is something that my family makes, except they call it "chile verde." The truth, I'm afraid, is that real Mexican chile verde is a pork dish, with an insanely delicious sauce made out of tomatillos and green chiles. The recipe that follows probably started off with pork and tomatillos, but then somewhere along the line someone substituted chicken for pork, tomatoes for tomatillos, left out the onions (and then added them back in again later)... It's total gringa food, but nonetheless very tasty, calls for ingredients that are usually on hand, and is delicious any time of the year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or as needed for pan-frying)
- 12 ounces chicken meat, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, minced (or other hot pepper to taste)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small (or more, or less, or none, per your taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- water or chicken stock
- 1Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan or soup pot.
- 2Add chicken pieces, in batches if your pot is small, and brown well.
- 3Add garlic, pepper, onion and spices. Toast briefly, then deglaze pan with water or chicken stock. You'll want to add just enough liquid to cover the lot.
- 4Add tomato and lemon juice.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is very tender. I usually give it an afternoon on the stove, if I've got the time.
- 6Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Serve over white rice or with tortillas.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nothing Like Chile Verde
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.8
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 59.5 mg
- Sodium 182.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 19.2 g