Prep 38 mins
Cook 22 mins
In her version of lemon meringue pie, Gale Gand forgoes a traditional crust for quick-baked sheets of sugared phyllo dough, which she layers with house-made lemon curd and a brown-sugar meringue. The recipe, a classic at Tru restaurant in Chicago, appears in Gand’s book Butter Sugar Flour Eggs (Clarkson Potter).Recipe by Gale Gand, from 50 Hall of Fame Best New Chefs: Hometown Heroes, July 2008 edition. F&W Magazine
- 3 sheet phyllo dough, plus more
- phyllo dough, in case of tearing
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 340.19 g lemon curd (store bought)
- raspberries, for garnish
- toasted chopped cashews, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper to fit a large baking sheet.
- Place 1 sheet of the parchment on a work surface.
- Top with a sheet of phyllo and brush with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the granulated sugar over the phyllo.
- Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo so that you have a stack of 3 sugared sheets.
- Using a ruler, trim the phyllo to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle, then cut it into twelve 4-inch squares.
- Slide the parchment onto a baking sheet and top with the second sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake for 18 minutes, until the phyllo squares are golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Put the brown sugar in a food processor; pulse to break up any lumps.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the brown sugar at high speed, a few tablespoons at a time, until the whites are glossy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag with a plain tip.
- Spoon a dollop of lemon curd onto each phyllo square.
- Pipe a layer of meringue over the lemon curd (alternately, you can spoon the meringue over the curd).
- Broil 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until lightly toasted.
- Set 6 phyllo squares on plates and top them with the remaining 6 squares.
- Garnish with raspberries, cashews, and serve.