In her version of lemon meringue pie, Gale Gand forgoes a traditional crust for quick-baked sheets of sugared phyllo dough, which she layers with house-made lemon curd and a brown-sugar meringue. The recipe, a classic at Tru restaurant in Chicago, appears in Gand’s book Butter Sugar Flour Eggs (Clarkson Potter).Recipe by Gale Gand, from 50 Hall of Fame Best New Chefs: Hometown Heroes, July 2008 edition. F&W Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper to fit a large baking sheet.
- 3Place 1 sheet of the parchment on a work surface.
- 4Top with a sheet of phyllo and brush with the melted butter.
- 5Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the granulated sugar over the phyllo.
- 6Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo so that you have a stack of 3 sugared sheets.
- 7Using a ruler, trim the phyllo to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle, then cut it into twelve 4-inch squares.
- 8Slide the parchment onto a baking sheet and top with the second sheet of parchment paper.
- 9Bake for 18 minutes, until the phyllo squares are golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
- 10Preheat the broiler.
- 11Put the brown sugar in a food processor; pulse to break up any lumps.
- 12In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- 13Beat in the brown sugar at high speed, a few tablespoons at a time, until the whites are glossy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 14Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag with a plain tip.
- 15Spoon a dollop of lemon curd onto each phyllo square.
- 16Pipe a layer of meringue over the lemon curd (alternately, you can spoon the meringue over the curd).
- 17Broil 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until lightly toasted.
- 18Set 6 phyllo squares on plates and top them with the remaining 6 squares.
- 19Garnish with raspberries, cashews, and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Usual Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.0
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 106.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 39.6 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: