Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my adopted recipe as of Feb. 2005. This is pretty darned good if I do say so. I changed the recipe to use 1 1/2 cups dates as suggested by the reviewer. This is more like cake than date bars. I didn't bother with the icing.
- 354.88 ml dates, chopped
- 59.14 ml milk
- 113.39 g cream cheese
- 473.18 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 177.44 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml sour cream or 177.44 ml plain yogurt
- 118.29 ml nuts, chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml milk
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- In saucepan cook dates, milk and cream cheese over medium-low heat until dates are soft and mixture is blended.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla and sour cream or yogurt and mix well.
- Mix baking soda and salt with flour and add to mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in by hand, slightly cooled date mixture and nuts.
- Spread in greased 15x10 jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Brown the butter on low heat, be careful not to burn.
- Stir into remaining ingredients, beat until smooth.
- Add small amount of milk if icing is too thick; spread over warm bars.
Well....you should have tried them as they are VERY good. The only change I will make next time, and there will definitely be a next time, is to add a few more chopped dates. Probably 1 1/2 cups instead of 1 cup. Thanks for sharing.