Recipe by Dorel
This is my adopted recipe as of Feb. 2005. This is pretty darned good if I do say so. I changed the recipe to use 1 1/2 cups dates as suggested by the reviewer. This is more like cake than date bars. I didn't bother with the icing.
Top Review by Garnet
Well....you should have tried them as they are VERY good. The only change I will make next time, and there will definitely be a next time, is to add a few more chopped dates. Probably 1 1/2 cups instead of 1 cup. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan cook dates, milk and cream cheese over medium-low heat until dates are soft and mixture is blended.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla and sour cream or yogurt and mix well.
- Mix baking soda and salt with flour and add to mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in by hand, slightly cooled date mixture and nuts.
- Spread in greased 15x10 jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Brown the butter on low heat, be careful not to burn.
- Stir into remaining ingredients, beat until smooth.
- Add small amount of milk if icing is too thick; spread over warm bars.