Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This pudding is a wee bit different from your normal bread pudding, you don't make with a custard to pour over before baking, I think you will like it. You can use any bread you like the one in my photo is wholemeal bread, and I used cherries from a jar, but you can use most fruit dried or cooked a bit to soften it. The mix spice I used was cinnamon and ginger, and I used brown sugar, I have also used white. A nice finishing touch is to grate some nutmeg on top.
- 225 g bread
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 50 g of melted butter
- 75 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 egg
- 175 g fruit
- zest of an orange
- Heat the oven to 350f or 180c.
- Butter a dish that will hold 2 to 21/2 pints.
- In a bowl break up the bread into small pieces about 1 inch.
- Pour over milk and give it a good stir and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Then add the melted butter, sugar,mixed spice and beaten egg. Beat the mix well and add the fruit and zest.
- Put the mix in the dish.
- Grate some nutmeg on top and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.