Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Our mixed heritage household does lots of odd things at Passover, but this one happens to be really tasty. Two key reasons are using sugar in the raw, coarser than refined or brown sugar, and using a nice table-ready red rather than harsh cooking wine.
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 -4 large fuji apples
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pour the lemon juice into a large zipper storage bag. Peel, core, and chop the apples into the zipper bag one at a time, mixing well after each addition by closing the bag with as little air as possible and squeezing.
- In a small zipper bag, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Add dates, seal, and toss until the dates are thoroughly coated. Add to apples and mix well.
- Combine wine with honey, stirring until blended. Add to apples and mix well.
- Add chopped walnuts, mixing, and refrigerate overnight.