Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy curry, creamy and slightly sweet. My children loved this when they were young, my dad took the recipe back to Scotland and it became his staple chicken curry recipe. My mum still makes it, without the chicken, she just likes the sauce! Its versatile, feel free to adapt to your own taste. Its from Readers Digest, Quick & Thrifty Cooking
- 60 g butter or 60 g margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- Melt the butter/margarine in a large heavy frying pan, over moderately high heat.
- Add the onion and apple, cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Blend in the flour, add the chicken stock and cream, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, curry powder, cayenne pepper and ginger.
- Add the chicken and cook, covered, over very low heat, for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- A sambal of chopped cucumbers, spring onions and radishes, moistened with a little white vinegar, is good with curry.
This was a great quick and easy curry. I used the sauce with Quorn chicken flavored tenders. It was a nicely sweet and mild curry. I actually added a bit of hot curry powder after tasting just to make it mildly spicy. Two cheers out of three for this one, but the one with sinus problems thought it needed more flavor. He was invited to take advantage of the powdered cayenne.
Absolutely delicious! I chopped the apple in my food processor so it was tiny. I placed all the ingredients but the cream & flour in my crock-pot then cooked for 4 hours. Next I added the cream & flour and cooked for another hour. I then pulled the chicken apart & added instant rice to the sauce. (I only used half the butter called for & 3 tsp of curry.) Made for Ramadan Tag
OMG! I have never cooked with curry before so i didnt know what to expect but it turned out really wonderful and tasty! I dont really like spicy things but this had just enough. It was very easy to make too! Thanks for the recipe Karen this is def. something im going to keep in my cookbook!