I made this up one night. I was going to make oyster stew and then realized that I did not have all the ingredients. I was craving oysters, however, and came up with this recipe. DELICIOUS. When making this recipe adjust ingredients as needed. These are approximate measurements that I FIND very palatable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces raw oysters
- 8 ounces chicken broth (if using broth, dissolve one chicken bouillon cube in broth or use two bouillon cubes dissolved in w)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour (plain or self rising)
- black pepper
- 1Drain oysters, reserving juice.
- 2In medium skillet melt butter until hot.
- 3Sauté onion until crisp tender.
- 4Add oysters and cook until muscle is creamy white (or cook for 1 full minute).
- 5Remove oysters and reserve.
- 6Mix flour with oyster juice and stir until smooth. adding water as necessary.
- 7Add chicken broth and flour mixture to skillet.Stir until well mixed. Use medium high heat and boil broth until thickened. (broth covers fork well when dipped). Make sure to stir every 30 seconds or so.
- 8Add generous amounts of pepper (or as desired).
- 9Add oysters (juice and all) and cook until hot. Do not overcook!
- 10This is delicious served on rice or eaten as a soup!
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Ordinary Oyster Gravy!
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.8
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 1076.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 25.0 g