Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made this up one night. I was going to make oyster stew and then realized that I did not have all the ingredients. I was craving oysters, however, and came up with this recipe. DELICIOUS. When making this recipe adjust ingredients as needed. These are approximate measurements that I FIND very palatable.
- 16 ounces raw oysters
- 8 ounces chicken broth (if using broth, dissolve one chicken bouillon cube in broth or use two bouillon cubes dissolved in w)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour (plain or self rising)
- black pepper
- Drain oysters, reserving juice.
- In medium skillet melt butter until hot.
- Sauté onion until crisp tender.
- Add oysters and cook until muscle is creamy white (or cook for 1 full minute).
- Remove oysters and reserve.
- Mix flour with oyster juice and stir until smooth. adding water as necessary.
- Add chicken broth and flour mixture to skillet.Stir until well mixed. Use medium high heat and boil broth until thickened. (broth covers fork well when dipped). Make sure to stir every 30 seconds or so.
- Add generous amounts of pepper (or as desired).
- Add oysters (juice and all) and cook until hot. Do not overcook!
- This is delicious served on rice or eaten as a soup!