1/1 Photo of Not Your Ordinary Minestrone Soup!
1 hr 25 mins
I found this recipe I think in the local Sioux Falls newspaper.... it is so good! Not full of salt and plenty of veggies! (For an even fresher taste, I like to use 4 cups of pureed fresh seeded roma tomatoes)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium if available)
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans (I use fresh green beans)
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, rinsed
- 3 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (if you are using fresh tomato)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a large stock pot, over medium-low heat, heat olive oil and saute garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots, saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2Add chicken broth, water and tomato sauce, bring to boil, stirring frequently. If desired add red wine at this point. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, spinach leaves, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, the longer the better.
- 3Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until tender. Drain water and set aside.
- 4Once pasta is cooked and soup is heated through place 2 tablespoons cooked pasta into individual serving bowls. Ladle soup on top of pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Spray with olive oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Ordinary Minestrone Soup!
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 1028.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 8.7 g