Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
There's nothing better than fresh tomatoes in season & there's nothing better than this creative BLT variation. It makes a great lunch, potluck pleaser, patio party winner or picnic favorite. Recipe source is Florida Tomato Committee, altho I amended the original recipe slightly. Enjoy! .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included for Greece in ZWT6 due to its use of feta cheese as a primary ingredient. :-)
- 1 lb tomatoes (fresh)
- 4 hard rolls (4-inch round)
- 3⁄4 cup caesar salad dressing (creamy)
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce (chopped)
- 8 slices bacon (fried crisp & crumbled)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use tomatoes held at room temp till fully ripe. Quarter tomatoes & remove the seedy moist centers so only the "meat" of the tomato is used. Coarsely chop tomato meat, place in a lrg bowl & set aside.
- Slice off the top of each hard roll & remove the center for a later use. Brush inside of rolls (& their tops) w/2 tbsp of the creamy dressing. Bake till lightly toasted (about 5 min) & set aside.
- Add the lettuce, bacon, green onions, feta cheese & remaining Caesar dressing to the bowl w/the tomatoes & toss till well-mixed.
- Spoon BLT mix into toasted bread shells. Place tops of rolls over the filling & serve immediately.
- NOTES: If you want to do the prep ahead, but serve later -- delay the final step till just prior to serving. Sliced avocado also makes a nice "extra" w/this sandwich.
Great sandwich! DH asked me to use less dressing and more feta, which worked out well for us. This is a yummy spin on a BLT, kind of like a BLT salad in a sandwich. The flavors were spot on; the Caesar and feta gave it something different, which was quite nice.
WOW. I made one sandwich and DH and I split it for dinner tonight. I had some apple slices and he had fries. We both really enjoyed it. Will surely make again. :D
I love blts...searched zaar to see if there was something "new" in the blt sandwich...and YES!!! never thought of caesar salad dressing...yum!! I still like mayo but this is really good...will make this again for sure! Thanks for the recipe post!