Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It all started with your basic hand me down oatmeal cookie recipe and I wanted something special I'd been working to create the perfect oatmeal cookie recipe for several months when I hit on this combination of ingredients. (I get away with thinking of them as a healthy snack with the Whole wheat flour, applesause and raisins.) Everyone who has ever eaten one is instantly addicted and they have been requested more times than I can count by friends and family. They are a huge hit at Bake sales as well.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 cup flour (I use a mixture whole wheat and white)
- 3 cups of uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup Bits 'o brickle baking chips
- Heat the oven to 350 deg.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper (do not use foil or greased cookie sheet as these will stick).
- Combine your flour, baking soda and oatmeal in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl place your butter and applesauce give it a bit of a mix.
- Next add your sugar, salt, vanilla eggs and molasses and stir together with a spoon till well combined.
- Add in the Flour mixture and mix by hand till it appears creamy.
- fold in the raisins, heath bits and the chocolate chips till they are worked throughout the dough.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon drop cookies onto the parchment covered baking sheet. Flatten the tops just a bit to make cooking even (they spread but not a lot).
- Bake at 350 deg for approx 15 -20 minutes, Actually I've never timed this I just watch the cookies and when they no longer have a 'gooey' look to the centers I remove them.
- Gently remove them while still warm from the cookie sheet with a spatula, the cookies will firm up as they sit but need a gentle handling when warm.