Recipe by thistleridge
No canned soup in this version! I improvised on a recipe I found in the 1968 copy of New Casserole Cookery,by Marian Tracy, a casserole pioneer who published her first book in 1941. Bacon, as always, takes this recipe over the top.
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Break uncooked spaghetti into 2 inch pieces. Put in pot of boiling, salted water 7-8 minutes. Drain.
- Fry bacon till crispy. Remove bacon and in remaining bacon grease saute mushrooms, onions and peppers till soft.
- Add tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 13X 9 inch baking dish layer 1/3 of the cooked spaghetti, then 1/3 of the chicken mixture.
- Repeat until there are 3 layers.
- Pour heavy cream all over.
- Cover with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.