Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This fabulous Tuna-Noodle Casserole certainly isn't the one Mom used to make, but is just as comforting. This is based on a recipe found in the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, but altered to fit what was in my pantry at the time. While not as low in points and calories, this one is still a healthy alternative to classic Tuna Noodle Casserole.
- 1 1⁄2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 3 cups water (for cooking the pasta)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (6 ounce) canchunk tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F; spray a shallow casserole dish with nonstick spray. Cook the noodles according to package directions; drain.
- While noodles cook, spray a large Wok-style pan with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Saute onions and celery for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, cabbage, and green onions; cook, stirring, until tender. Stir in soup, tuna, milk, parsley, and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in noodles. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake or 15 minutes. Top with tomato slices.