Recipe by bayou-mimi
Very different from the usual broccoli salad with sunflower seeds and raisins. I have no idea where this recipe originally came from we have been making it in our family for at least 25 years, and each time I bring it to pot-lucks or cookouts I am always asked for the recipe. I usually serve it with our Thanksgiving meal also just to have something fresh and crunchy. I hope you enjoy it too.
Top Review by Susie D
This is very good & we enjoyed it alot. The dressing mix is very strong, but it does perk up the salad. I did add a thinly sliced purple onion for color & next time think I will add some julianned red pepper for even more eye appeal. I will be making this one again. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
- 1 -2 head broccoli, washed and chopped stems,leaves and leaves all,if the stems are large,slice them thinner and then cu
- 1 cup celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1⁄2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar mushrooms, drained,do not substitute fresh
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Open the liquid salad dressing and pour the dry mix into it.
- You may have to poke the powder down with the tip of a knife to allow it to be mixed completely.
- Re-cap and shake to mix.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour the salad dressing over all and stir gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 12 hours, and overnight is okay.
- Give it a stir once or twice when you think about it.