Recipe by MacChef
No, it's not my mama's but my sisters! This is a unique recipe that requires no roux so the sauce is creamy not grainy as some can be. I make "Grown Up Mac-n-Cheese by replacing some of the cheese with gorgonzola (4oz to be exact) and giving it a crumb topping instead. This is easy enough for you to do as you like. I do recommend using several different types of cheese for complexity.
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne rigate or 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 4 cups milk
- 4 (16 ounce) bagsof preshredded cheese, we use 2 sharp cheddar, one italian blend and colby jack (reserve 1 cup for the top of casserole)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot bring water to boil and salt to boil. Add pasta and cook for half the time recommended on the box. Usually 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour your milk into a large microwave safe bowl and heat until milk is hot, about 3-4 minutes.
- While the milk is heating, dump all of your cheese into a large bowl, removing one cup or so for the top, and add your cornstarch. Mix until all of the cheese is lightly coated in the starch. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- When milk is hot, start adding your cheese a handful at a time until each addition is melted. The milk will likely have to go back into the microwave to heat back up as the cheese will cool it down.
- When pasta is ready, drain and put into a 13x9 inch casserole dish sprayed with non stick spray. Pour sauce over the top and push around so that the sauce begins to move inside the pasta tubes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.