1/2 Photos of Not Your Mama's Mac-N-Cheese
No, it's not my mama's but my sisters! This is a unique recipe that requires no roux so the sauce is creamy not grainy as some can be. I make "Grown Up Mac-n-Cheese by replacing some of the cheese with gorgonzola (4oz to be exact) and giving it a crumb topping instead. This is easy enough for you to do as you like. I do recommend using several different types of cheese for complexity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne rigate or 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 4 cups milk
- 4 (16 ounce) bags of preshredded cheese, we use 2 sharp cheddar, one italian blend and colby jack (reserve 1 cup for the top of casserole)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large pot bring water to boil and salt to boil. Add pasta and cook for half the time recommended on the box. Usually 5-6 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, pour your milk into a large microwave safe bowl and heat until milk is hot, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3While the milk is heating, dump all of your cheese into a large bowl, removing one cup or so for the top, and add your cornstarch. Mix until all of the cheese is lightly coated in the starch. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 4When milk is hot, start adding your cheese a handful at a time until each addition is melted. The milk will likely have to go back into the microwave to heat back up as the cheese will cool it down.
- 5When pasta is ready, drain and put into a 13x9 inch casserole dish sprayed with non stick spray. Pour sauce over the top and push around so that the sauce begins to move inside the pasta tubes.
- 6Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Mama's Mac-N-Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1053.8
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 37.7 g
- Cholesterol 162.2 mg
- Sodium 2253.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 56.1 g