Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This sandwich is a little tangy from the tomatoes, a little spicy from the chipotle chilies,and just plain delicious.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 -5 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 1 tablespoon mild molasses
- 12 slices sourdough bread, 3/4 inch thick
- 18 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Blend tomato paste, chilies and molasses in processor until smooth.
- Spread 1 tablespoon chipotle mixture over 1 side of each bread slice.
- Arrange 6 slices of bread, chipotle side up, on work surface.
- Divide half of cheese among bread slices.
- Top with tomatoes, then onion, cilantro, and remaining cheese.
- Top sandwiches with remaining bread, chipotle side down.
- Spread butter on outside of sandwich tops and bottoms.
- Heat a large griddle over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches on griddle, cook until bread is golden and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Keep your heat on medium to low or the bread will burn.
- Eat the sandwiches warm from the griddle.
Great name for a great sandwich! I thoroughly enjoyed this. Can't wait to make it for Dh this weekend.