Recipe by Chabear01
This is from the Nutrition Action Newsletter. With approximately 60 calories per 1/4 cup serving and zero fat and only 15 grams Carbohydrates this is a lighter sauce for the holidays. Make it a day or two ahead, and serve it hot or cold.
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen cranberries
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cranberry skins pop open. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange peel and crystallized ginger.
- Put into a bowl and set into refrigerator until ready to serve. You can heat this up if you like a hot sauce to put over a ham, or serve chilled to serve along with a turkey.