Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great way to disguise broccoli ( : It is a slightly healthy version.
- 5 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1 ounce Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil Broccoli for approx 8-10 minutes (to your level of done ness). Drain and pat dry, set aside. While broccoli is boiling, melt butter over med heat and add flour and whisk. Cook until golden. Add milk slowly and whisk constantly until slightly thickened. Cook about 2-3 minutes more. Take off heat and add cheeses and whisk until melted and combined. Place broccoli in casserole dish and pour cheese sauce over broccoli and mix. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of low fat shredded cheese over top and cover. Bake 15 minutes and take cover off and bake another 5 minutes.
Fortunately for me I live in an area where I can usually get fresh broccoli, which I used for this recipe, steaming it for about 7-8 minutes! From then on I followed the recipe's directions & had a great tasting cheesy dish! Very, very nice! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick-A-Chef]