Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Serve with Knorr potato dumplings or spaetzle, sweet & sour red cabbage, and a side of applesauce! Happiness!
- Make a bundle with the cheesecloth and the pickling spices, placing pickling spices in a square of cheesecloth and tying it off with cotton string. Mix water, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, and onion powder in a large crock pot (the one I use is a 6-quart model). Add the bundle of pickling spices.
- Put meat in fat side up in crock. Cook until meat is tender (low for 12 hours or high for 7-8 hours).
- Remove spice bundle and throw away. Do not discard the juices nor turn off the crockpot. Take meat out and allow to cool.
- Add 12 crumbled ginger snaps to juices that remain in the crockpot and allow to thicken.
- Slice the meat and return to sauce in the crockpot.
Made this for Sunday dinner. Try to make something different at least once a week and your recipe was picked to try. Smells wonderful cooking in the crock pot and the samples that I have tasted, before serving, proves to be a good choice to serve my company for dinner. I'm sure it will be a hit all around. Thanks.
Truly outstanding flavor, yet quite easy!! The gravy is out of this world! I made this just as written except I used fresh grated onion in place of the onion powder. After I added the crushed ginger snaps, I decided to use my immersion blender to blend; the result was a thick, smooth and tasty gravy! I would proudly serve this to guests. Thanx for posting this excellent recipe. I'll make this often.
Fantastic Flavor!! Feels like I was back in Germany again! With how long it was in the slow cooker, the meat ended up shredded, but we served it shredded over spaetzle with some carrots on the side, and even my picky 7 year old asked for seconds! Thank you so much for a new recipe in our rotation!!