Recipe by BlueDoxie
Serve with Knorr potato dumplings or spaetzle, sweet & sour red cabbage, and a side of applesauce! Happiness!
Top Review by bjd4
Made this for Sunday dinner. Try to make something different at least once a week and your recipe was picked to try. Smells wonderful cooking in the crock pot and the samples that I have tasted, before serving, proves to be a good choice to serve my company for dinner. I'm sure it will be a hit all around. Thanks.
- 4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 12 ginger snaps, finely crushed
- cotton string
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a bundle with the cheesecloth and the pickling spices, placing pickling spices in a square of cheesecloth and tying it off with cotton string. Mix water, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, and onion powder in a large crock pot (the one I use is a 6-quart model). Add the bundle of pickling spices.
- Put meat in fat side up in crock. Cook until meat is tender (low for 12 hours or high for 7-8 hours).
- Remove spice bundle and throw away. Do not discard the juices nor turn off the crockpot. Take meat out and allow to cool.
- Add 12 crumbled ginger snaps to juices that remain in the crockpot and allow to thicken.
- Slice the meat and return to sauce in the crockpot.