Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great unique version of traditional tuna macaroni salad. It is very light (not creamy like some macaroni salads but packs tons of flavor), also it is heart healthy. It is great at picnics, BBQ's or just any night of the week. Lots of vegetables and a light yogurt mayo blend for the dressing makes it much lighter than the traditional tuna salad. But equally as good.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 14 ounces starkist chunk light tuna, in water (two packages, now you can use any brand, but I like this the best)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 3 large celery ribs, diced fine
- 1⁄2 cup red onion
- 1⁄2 cup radish, thin diced
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to taste)
- Pasta -- Cook the pasta according to directions. Make sure to add plenty of salt when you cook the pasta. Drain well and then set to the side to let cool. I like to add just a drizzle of olive oil to the pasta so it doesn't stick.
- Dressing -- In a large bowl, add the yogurt, mayo, red wine vinegar, dijon, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt and mix well.
- Salad -- Now to the bowl with the dressing -- add the chopped peppers, onions, celery, radishes and toss well. Add the pasta, tuna, just lightly broken up and the fresh parsley and dill and toss. Check for any extra seasoning, salt and pepper if needed.
- That's all -- Just serve over a small bed of field greens, with some fresh tomato slices from the market and maybe some fresh homemade bread. It makes for a great dinner, or even just a side with some BBQ chicken or steak. Or just a light lunch.
i tried this recipe but omitted the black beans. its very tasty. even my hubby who is not fond of mayonnaise liked this light recipe. however next time i will surely try with beans