1/2 Photos of " Not Your Average" Ham & Bean Soup!
1 hr 20 mins
At one time I was making "Cowboy Caviar" at least once a week, but have since tapered off to maybe once every six months. Having an excess of canned beans (all kinds) in the cupboard I decided to make some bean soup. I got the ham bone in the pot and started emptying the cupboard. This is the result, tho measurements aren't exact, they're close. My dh, ds and our Mexican neighbor think I should "patent" this! It is probably too spicy hot for little ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 -2 cup ham, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced
- 2 -3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons ham soup base
- 8 -10 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can jalapeno beans, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel extra hot tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1Place ham bone, onion, celery, carrots and water in a large stock pot.
- 2Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer, skimming foam occasionally.
- 3When meat is starting to separate from the bone, remove bone and allow to cool.
- 4Add bouillon, I used Ham Flavored Better Than Bouillon, garlic salt and pepper.
- 5Add beans, whatever kind you like, tomatoes and continue to simmer.
- 6Remove ham from bone and return ham to soup mixture along with cubed ham.
- 7At this point I recommend you taste test the soup for seasonings, but be careful, it doesn't bite your tongue, it grabs your throat!
- 8I served this with corn bread and fresh fried potatoes with bacon & onion. It gets better after a day or two in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Not Your Average" Ham & Bean Soup!
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.8
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 865.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ham soup base