Recipe by Maiya
I played around with a "normal" cinnamon roll recipe to make something a little different. The added chocolate chips and coconut really gives these cinnamon rolls a great taste.
Top Review by mianbao
These are wonderful. A look at the recipe should convince anyone that they are, and I have made them and I'm sure. I followed the recipe for the dough faithfully, but did not measure the ingredients (I used all of them) when I made the filling. I haven't made the frosting yet. Gilding the lily seems a bit much, but I may try. Because I have a small oven and wanted smaller rolls, I divided the dough into three parts and baked each part in a 9-inch round cake pan. I also lined the pans with cooking paper. I have a feeling I'm going to be very popular as long as these last. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us. BTW, 1/2 cup instant pudding came to about half of 5.1 oz box of instant pudding that I had. I suppose one box could be used for a double batch.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk (100-115 F)
- 1⁄4 cup water (100-115 F)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chocolate chips (depending on personal preference)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yeast, sugar, milk and water, and let sit until bubbly (about 10 mins).
- In a large bowl combine flour, pudding mix, salt, egg, butter, and yeast mixture.
- Knead dough until smooth and shiny.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Roll dough out to form a 10-in by 17 in rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the dough with the butter and then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over it.
- Then sprinkle the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Roll the dough up, starting with the long side facing you.
- Pinch the seam to seal.
- Cut into 12 pieces and place in a greased 9in by 13in pan.
- Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 F until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the frosting ingredients.
- Spread the frosting on the rolls while still warm.