Recipe by COOKGIRl
You know the one I am referring to... the broccoli salad with eight slices of bacon... it's not that one. If you don't want to stray too far from tradition, add a couple slices of chopped crisply cooked bacon or tempeh bacon. This version is not as syrupy sweet either. I've substituted broccolini and broccoflower in this recipe, too. From All-American Vegetarian cookbook.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love broccoli salads and this is a new version for me. The carrots add a pretty color and go great with the raisins and sunflower seeds. The blanched broccoli is a nice change, but sure your broccoli is patted dry to avoid a soggy salad. I used the raspberry vinegar and I think vinegar in general adds a lot to a broccoli salad. I think a white wine vinegar would be good, too. Thanks Cookgirl for answering my post in the forums re. broccoli salads! Roxygirl
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup roasted sunflower seeds or 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, finely minced
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise or 5 tablespoons tofu mayonnaise or 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the sunflower seeds. Let cool.
- Trim bottom 2 inches off the end of the broccoli stalks.
- In large pot of boiling water, lighlty blanch the broccoli for about 3-4 minutes. Immediately rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- In small non-reactive bowl combine all the dressing ingredients except for the vinegar and blend well with hand-held immersion blender. Taste and adjust dressing. If too sweet start by adding 1/4 teaspoon but up to 1 teaspoon of the raspberry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once cool enough to handle, dice the broccoli stems and chop up the florets into bite-size pieces. Place the cut up broccoli into a large salad bowl with the carrots, onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Keep salad refrigerated until time to serve. Serve chilled.