1/1 Photo of Not Your Average Broccoli and Raisin Salad
You know the one I am referring to... the broccoli salad with eight slices of bacon... it's not that one. If you don't want to stray too far from tradition, add a couple slices of chopped crisply cooked bacon or tempeh bacon. This version is not as syrupy sweet either. I've substituted broccolini and broccoflower in this recipe, too. From All-American Vegetarian cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds or 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1Toast the sunflower seeds. Let cool.
- 2Trim bottom 2 inches off the end of the broccoli stalks.
- 3In large pot of boiling water, lighlty blanch the broccoli for about 3-4 minutes. Immediately rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- 4In small non-reactive bowl combine all the dressing ingredients except for the vinegar and blend well with hand-held immersion blender. Taste and adjust dressing. If too sweet start by adding 1/4 teaspoon but up to 1 teaspoon of the raspberry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Once cool enough to handle, dice the broccoli stems and chop up the florets into bite-size pieces. Place the cut up broccoli into a large salad bowl with the carrots, onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- 6Keep salad refrigerated until time to serve. Serve chilled.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Your Average Broccoli and Raisin Salad
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.5
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.3 mg
- Sodium 168.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 3.2 g