1/1 Photo of Not Yo Mama's Tuna Casserole
This has the comfort of a tuna noodle casserole, but modernized with Sushi Yellowfin or Ahi Tuna. While the noodle casserole is baking, you can be searing the tuna. I made this recipe up one night and it was a big hit. I get asked to make it often. I called it "Not Yo Mama's" because it starts out like your mom's, but takes a 'fusion turn' toward 'special.'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package of uncooked medium wide egg noodles
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 6 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup black sesame seed
- 3/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 4 (6 ounce) ahi tuna steaks, 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain. Rinse briefly.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium low heat. Stir in onion, celery, garlic, and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Increase heat to medium high and add sliced mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 3Melt 5 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk and continue cooking 5 minutes until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in peas, mushroom mixture and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl and mix with bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of noodle mixture.
- 5Bake 25 minutes in preheated oven until bubbly and lightly browned.
- 6While casserole is baking, rinse tuna and roll in black and white sesame seed mixture on all sides. Sear tuna in olive oil one minute on each of the six sides (longer if you don't like your tuna rare). Remove from pan and slice thinly.
- 7When casserole is finished, place tuna slices on top and serve. Option: Keep tuna separate until ready to serve. Place serving on individual plates. Garnish with dill or lettuce and place several slices of tuna on top or on the side with the garnish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Yo Mama's Tuna Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.6
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.4 mg
- Sodium 245.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 38.5 g