Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Part tofu, part cottage cheese and a couple eggs too- this quiche is a little healthier than a traditional one, but doesn't quite desert its heritage completely. Feel free to sub other veggies. You also have the option here to make this crustless or not. Recipe is from the La Leache League International cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" and accredited to Jane Friedland of Washingtonville, New York.
- 1 lb tofu
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ or 1 9 inch pie shell
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup grated hard cheese (such as swiss, cheddar, etc)
- Sautee onion and mushrooms in oil until onions are translucent.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 9" pie plate.
- Sprinkle with wheat germ to cover, or use a pie crust.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Spread onion-mushroom mixture on next.
- Top with half of the tomato slices.
- Blend in a food processor or blender the tofu, cottage cheese, eggs and flour.
- Add the hard cheese to the tofu mixture, reserving some for topping.
- Pour tofu mix into pan and arrange remaining tomato slices on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes until set and golden.