Recipe by jafcruffo
I've been cooking this chili recipe for about a year, and every time, it came out great. I work in a restaurant and I tried the chili one day. So I asked my boss if I could have the recipe, and this came out just as good (or even better) than any restaurant's. It makes quite a lot (12 quarts) but can easily be reduced by the ingredients to your liking (2, 4, 6, 8, 10 quarts)
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 bell peppers (red or green)
- 2 large onions
- 1 celery heart
- 96 ounces whole tomatoes
- 96 ounces pinto beans
- 96 ounces kidney beans
- 32 ounces tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop all of the onions, peppers, and celery and defrost the beef.
- In a deep bowl, squash the whole tomatoes until they are coarse, but still retain their chunkiness and set them aside for use later.
- In a separate pan, place the beef.
- Cook the beef until it is at a medium--medium-well.
- Drain all of the fat out of the meat pan.
- In the desired soup pot, cook the chopped peppers, onions, and celery.
- Add the meat to the vegetables.
- Add the chili powder and cumin to the meat and vegetables.
- Cook until all of the ingredients have been covered with the chili powder and cumin, or until they take on a red color.
- Add the previously squashed tomatoes to the soup pot.
- Mix well, then add the beans and all of their juice.
- Finally, add the tomato juice.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 2 hours (this could be less time, if desired, but keep in mind the longer the simmer, the better the taste).
- Serve, but be careful because it's extremely hot!