Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
A woman I work with makes this for us for lunch all the time and I love it. So essentially I'm ripping off her own 'Spontaneous Couscous' combination.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, raw, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, raw, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn, frozen sweet
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup spring onion, greens only, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup couscous
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Saute the onion in the oil in a medium sized pan, for about 10 minutes, on medium-low heat until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add corn, couscous, beans, raisins and water.
- Cover and cook on low heat 5-8 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and couscous is soft.
- Add everything else: the zucchini, carrots, green onions, celery, red pepper and almonds.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve warm, or even better, refrigerate and serve next day cold.
- You can substitute other beans.
- Turtle beans work well.
- Navy beans too.
Colorful, beautiful, healthy and flavorful - a trifecta! Lots of chopping but each item is in such a small quantity it really wasn't that much effort. Thank you!
Mmm...this makes veggies really palatable! AND my vegetarian roommate loved it! I will definitely make this again! I made this as indicated, but used canned corn (drained)...thanks for a tasty way to eat veggies!