Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great recipe for homemade sloppy joes! You can use brown sugar in place of sucanat if you'd like.
Make and share this Not so Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sucanat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 rolls, halved and toasted
- Heat the olive oil for one minute and then sauté the onion, celery, pepper and oregano for 4 minutes or until soft.
- Crumble in the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook until meat is brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients through the black pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add Tabasco, if using, and cooked until bubbling and heated through.
- Spoon over toasted rolls and serve.