Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
These are the best low fat "refried" beans I have ever had. Finally not that pasty, gritty stuff you get from a can. These are the real things, and their still light! Thanks for trying them. ENJOY!
Top Review by ladypit
We enjoyed these beans. The oil used in the recipe is not listed in the ingredients, though. I doubled this since my bag of dried beans was 2 lbs. I soaked them overnight and then cooked them in the morning for lunch. While we enjoyed them, we thought they were missing something. Some cumin added would be nice. Maybe some cilantro. The texture is lovely, though. We made these into burritos with low carb tortialls, fat free sour cream, and 2% cheese. (Plus some salsa for the adults.) Thanks for a great lunch.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 6 -7 cups water, about
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan, add beans and pour in enough water to cover Turn to high and bring to a boil Turn to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour Add more water to cover and continue to repeat these 2 steps until until the beans are very soft Drain beans and add them to a food prosesser or blender Add about 1/4 cup chicken broth and blend until smooth In a large saute' pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and saute the onions until brown.
- Add garlic and stir Remove from the heat and add the beans, chili powder, salt, chicken boulion, and hot sauce Stir together and add more chicken broth to get it to the texture you like.
- Serving Suggestions: corn chips, burritos, tacos, fish, or chicken.